Can I drive abroad?

If you’re driving abroad, we will provide the same level of cover that your policy provides for up to the number of days shown on your Schedule during your period of insurance. This is providing your car is taxed, registered and normally kept in the United Kingdom, and that you keep a permanent address in the United Kingdom.

What if my car is being transported abroad?

We’ll also provide cover while your car is being transported by rail, air, inland waterway, the Channel Tunnel or by a recognised sea route to any country where this insurance operates and the journey time doesn’t normally exceed 65 hours.

If your car becomes undriveable as a result of loss or damage covered by this policy, we’ll pay the cost of delivering it to your address in the United Kingdom. We’ll also pay customs duty if your car is damaged and we decide not to return it to this country after you make a claim under your contract.

Do I need to use the app to monitor when driving outside the UK or abroad?

No, you don’t. While we have reliable road speed limit information for England, Wales and Scotland, we don’t for other countries including Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man so don’t monitor driving outside of the UK. We recommend turning off your mobile data when driving abroad. If WiseDriving App isn’t switched off while you are abroad, these journeys will not be taken into account but may use some of your data to upload to us – so make sure you turn off the App before you go away!

Please note that, in the case of the WiseDriving Mobile App, we will not be liable for any data upload charges. Please refer to your mobile phone provider for instructions on how to upload data while travelling abroad.

What if I want to drive in a country not listed under the cover?

Before you travel, always check with your insurer to confirm that you’re covered. If you aren’t, you will have to purchase additional cover.

If you’re travelling outside of the EU, you’ll also need to buy an International Driving Permit before driving.

Some European countries may also require a green card, which acts as proof of your insurance. Countries that require this include: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Israel, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. Contact your insurer if you are planning to drive in these countries and require green card cover to find out if they can provide it or if you’ll need to buy additional cover.

Always make sure to check the rules abroad before driving too – minimum driving ages can vary in different countries, as well as driving laws.


Keywords: holiday, foreign countries, away from home, out of country

Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful